Issues associated with rising damp can quickly turn a dream home into a nightmare. Living in a house with such problems can threaten your family’s health and yours. There are many causes of rising damp including a humid zone, materials aging, and a deficient construction with waterproofing problems. Rising damp on the walls and other parts of your home is a problem that must be taken seriously as it impacts everyone who lives in your house and can even cause respiratory issues, pain, lung disease, asthma, and allergies. This can take place when excess humidity results in the development of molds.
Impacts of Rising Damp on Health
Rising damp on any area of your home can lead to the following issues:
- Poor air quality. Excessive environmental humidity can compromise the quality of indoor air. In turn, this may cause people in a home to contract respiratory disease including sinusitis, asthma, and bronchitis.
- Mold development. Mold reproduces itself throughs pores diffusion the air. Such spores can cause asthma. According to many studies, continuous exposure to molds in indoor environments can result in respiratory issues.
- Bacteria, fungi, and pest proliferation. Rising damp on basements makes an ideal habitat for mites, bacteria, and fungi that can cause allergies and diseases. These are serious problems, especially for infants and elderly people.
Importance of Damp Proofing your Home
Correct damp proofing can provide your home with the following benefits:
- Improve smell. Damp and moisture in homes can result in mold. When left untreated, this will become an issue that spreads around the house, creating a musty and dank atmosphere. With the right damp proofing solution provided by an expert, your home will stay in a healthy-smelling home.
- Enhanced look. Employing damp proofing in the right areas of your home can greatly improve the look of your home. You will be able to decorate your home properly, without worrying about patches of damp.
- Increased home value. Damp tends to persist when not treated properly, affecting your home’s value. But, using the right damp proofing solution will make your home more appealing to buyers.
- Improved health. Any family member who suffers from health issues like breathing difficulties may see significant improvements in their health and quality of life if your home is damp-free. The mildew and mold that can grow because of damp conditions impact the respiratory system and although a lot of the symptoms are not life-threatening, they may cause even a healthy person to suffer.